Make-Up Your Mind

Make-up brands throw out old standards to start a new wave

Courtesy of CoverGirl

Olivia Hemmerich, Reporter

This generation has made an impact like no other. Standards have been broken with education at our fingertips. These new waves of freedoms have reached everywhere, even the beauty industry.

The beauty industry has changed drastically, constantly shifting the standards of beauty to be more attainable to everyday people, not just the beautiful women in the magazines. Both men and women of all ethnicities, of all backgrounds and of all religions are taking their place in the beauty industry. Although there are so many evolutions taking place, there is still a long way to go.     

But we are getting closer. Brands like CoverGirl, Black Up Cosmetics, and IMAN’s Cosmetics, are three makeup brands accommodating women of color. Both are making their mark.

CoverGirl has always been easy, breezy, beautiful, but has recently gotten caught up in a controversy with the release of their new Sponsor James Charles, a 17-year old boy and now Makeup Artist. This is not the only step CoverGirl has taken. In the same commercial makeup artist Nura Afia became the first woman wearing a traditional hijab to be featured in a major brand campaign.

Although some people are against it, many are rejoicing over the new diversity. Sophomore Sophia Wright reacts to the new diversity happily, saying, “With all the change, I just think it’s going towards everyone is beautiful in their own way, and that there aren’t the same standards. They are getting rid of the wall saying what’s pretty and what’s not. I think it’s more about individuality and making yourself truly happy, I really like that.”

Representation of all types of people has been seen more, brands are addressing all their buyers, shade variety has developed, and certain brands have made their name creating the perfect products for the most unique people. Stereotypes are breaking, but there are still issues.

Senior Loreli Mendoza reacts to her own issues saying, “Sometimes if I overdraw my lip liner or eyebrows I’m considered a chola, but it’s trendy on other people. People think I’ll look like a thug or a chola when it’s trendy on white people, you’ll never look as pretty compared to the white girl in makeup, according to society.”

Esperanza Sandoval, a junior, has her own issues as well, having the age old foundation struggle. “I can never find my color, I’m either too white, then it oxidizes and it’s too orange or too tan for me.”

Both Wright and Sandoval share this issue; Wright saying, “Since I’m so pale it’s hard to find a foundation that’ll blend since it all is so orange on me. Also with blush, it’ll be ridiculously bright.  That also goes with lipstick and eyeshadow.”   

Wide scale shade diversity and complimentary colors to unique tones are a fairly new thing.  If you weren’t the ideal beauty standard, a makeup application was a serious struggle.

Covergirl is making a major impact setting new standards by proudly showcasing James Charles in the new ad campaign. Responding to any negative reactions, the makeup brand said in a press release,“All of our CoverGirls are role models and boundary breakers, fearlessly expressing themselves, standing up for what they believe, and redefining what it means to be beautiful. James Charles is no exception.”

So where is the makeup industry heading from here?  Everyone has their own concerns and struggles: celebrating diversity and representation for everyone is the goal. Sandoval says, “It’ll just be bigger, there are so many people creating brands. It’s not just for women, it’s for men too- a place for them to create their art.”