Parking Lot of Horrors

The “back 40” parking lot is full enough without a blanket of snow and ice claim SWHS students. Photo by Madisun Tobisch.

The closer we get to the end of the school year, the more students get their licenses. As more students start driving, fewer and fewer parking spots are available.
Normally around 7:25-7:30 in the morning, most students have trouble finding a parking spot. Oftentimes, students are late to their first class of the morning because of the lack of open parking spaces.
There are many places where students are forbidden to park, such as the staff parking lots or the parking lot across from the C building-since it is private property.
“There should be more parking spots or we should be allowed to park in the staff parking,” said Sedro-Woolley High School senior Dimar Ugalde.
As the year goes on, more and more sophomores get their licenses, and therefore there are fewer parking spots.
“Yes, lately there has been limited parking space, not just for students but also for staff,” said SWHS Dean of Students and basketball coach Chris Spencer.
Spencer explained that more and more students have been getting their permit/license, and also that recently SWHS has been getting more student teachers and interns.
Not only has Spencer been having trouble moving around the students but he’s also been having trouble moving around the staff.
“I think we should have more parking spots. I got a verbal warning last year,” said an anonymous SWHS student. “I got here late and there was no parking, so I went to park at the staff parking lots.”
During second semester is when the parking lots get full because most of the sophomores get their licenses.
The main parking spots are the ones along the side of the C building next to the tennis courts and the other main lot is the gated ones by the gym, known as the “back 40.”
There are some certain consequences if you do park in the staff parking lots: the first one would be a verbal warning, the second one is a ticket, and the third one is a boot on the car or they will tow the vehicle.
With the recent snow fall in the last few weeks, seniors have come across a unique issue. Underclassmen claim the snow has covered the painted senior spots that cost $50. Seniors have been shocked and annoyed to find personalized spots being filled, causing them to have to search for an empty spot.