Lacrosse is Making its way into High Schools

SWHS+student+Jens+Gifford+stands+on+the+field+in+his+Flyers+uniform.+Lacross+teams+have+been+coming+to+more+and+more+highschools+across+the+country+as+the+sport+gains+popularity.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

SWHS student Jens Gifford stands on the field in his Flyers uniform. Lacross teams have been coming to more and more highschools across the country as the sport gains popularity.

Jens Gifford

Jens Gifford

Jens Gifford

Crystal Martin, Reporter

More and more schools across Washington are adopting Lacrosse as a school sport. This game is not like any other sport. “There is always something going on, from face offs, to players battling for ground balls, to players shooting and scoring,” said Kyle Brumbaugh, the coach of the Skagit Valley Flyers.

Brumbaugh has been a lacrosse coach for 10 years. In 2010 he started the seventh and eighth grade Skagit Valley Flyers team.
There has been some talk about Lacrosse becoming a school sport for Burlington Edison High School, Lynden High School, and Bellingham High School. We are not quite there yet for Sedro-Woolley High School. For there to be a Lacrosse team in Sedro-Woolley they need to get more girls to play to meet the title nine requirement.

Girls lacrosse is not as rough as boys lacrosse. “I think of boys lacrosse kind of like hockey where checks are legal and girls lacrosse to be more like soccer or basketball,” said Brumbaugh.
Last year the boys lacrosse team won the state championship. This year they are persevering to reach that goal yet again.