A Tough Year for Seniors

Seniors socially distance in Civic Stadium for their senior year photo.

By Dustin Rhodes

Everyone this year is disappointed with the mess that we were given titled a school year. However, the seniors at Sedro-Woolley High School, without a doubt, have been robbed of more events and significant factors than any other students.

Many were devastated by the ups and downs that plagued their senior year. Hopes of senior events one day with crushed expectations the next.

They were still given these events, but with social distancing regulations, they were seen as insignificant compared to before.

“With all the precautions we have to take during a school event makes it seem like a chore rather than a fun time,” said SWHS senior and running start student Eliot Cooper. 

The school isn’t to blame for this however; the state had very strict regulations and every event had to be approved by the entirety of the school board. 

“It was actually extremely difficult to plan for these events. We wanted to make events as fun and as normal as possible this year, but that was just unrealistic,” said ASB planning member Amelia Vaith.

However school events were arguably the tip of the iceberg. As seniors, a solid graduation path is more important than it ever was before, and was never nearly this hard to maintain. 

Most had issues figuring out how to establish a solid base for this year. 

“My graduation path is not where I had anticipated it… remote learning made it more difficult to stay caught up with assignments. I, like most others, don’t have the help of teachers to navigate me through things,” said SWHS senior Chris Hoffman.

However, the transition into remote learning didn’t have the same negative effect on every senior’s path. Some were able to use their own schedules to their advantage. 

“Remote learning better prepared me to have strong time management skills. I’m still on track with my graduation path too, so yeah, I’d say I’m where I’d like to be,” stated Vaith. 

Those that were arguably dealt an even worse card were seniors that were enrolled in the Skagit Valley College Running Start program. A combination of even less communication and non-mandatory zoom meetings was a recipe for disaster for some. 

Running start student Eliot Cooper had dealt with these issues first hand. “At first, doing Running Start I was able to accomplish more than I originally thought I would in high school. But on the other side of the coin, when the pandemic hit, it was much harder trying to communicate with staff at the college and I ended up missing out on a few of my AA credits because of it,” Cooper said. 

Cooper had the advantage of getting his associates degree earlier than most through the Running Start program. Seniors who operated solely at the high school had mixed feelings about what they expected with schooling after high school. 

Some were optimistic for what was to come. “I’ve spent most of this year expecting the worst for our post-high school experience. So that’s how I’ve planned out my year… I think a lot more of my schooling will be hands-on after this school year which I’m very excited for,” said Vaith. 

Covid may be coming to an end here soon and it may not be.  It is easy to be optimistic as most see all they’ve been through and see college as a bright option. It seems the best approach is to prepare for anything.

College is very important for finding a career and can be an exponentially harder experience during a pandemic. 

”You might be quarantined in your dorm room as a result of a covid case, or even have the whole school shut down temporarily. These things matter substantially more when you’re paying for your education and future,” Hoffman stated.