The student news site of Sedro-Woolley High School

The Cub

The Cub

The Cub

Sedro-Woolley joins Washington Walkout

By Shelby Page

Sedro-Woolley school district joined with 29 other school districts in a statewide walkout to show that teachers disagree with the decisions being made by the legislature.

“The teachers of the Sedro-Woolley Education Association are not in favor of the direction that our current elected officials are heading with their decisions,” said science teacher Laura Schmidt, a union representative for the Sedro-Woolley High School staff.

The legislature is not funding smaller class sizes, although 50.96 percent of voters voted yes to initiative 1351, a plan to reduce Washington State class sizes.

Schmidt says that smaller class sizes are far more beneficial to students and teachers alike. “When class sizes are high, teachers unfortunately spend more time on classroom student behavior management then they do on really getting into the curriculum and challenging students.”

The Sedro-Woolley school superintendent Philip Brockman agrees that smaller class sizes would be beneficial to students.

“As a former math teacher, I can say that I was more effective when I had smaller classes.  I think most teachers would say that they are able to spend more time with individual students in the learning process. There is research that disputes the results of smaller class size, however, we count on developing a positive classroom culture and smaller class size supports having positive classroom atmosphere.”

Teachers hope to bring attention to the issues of creating a better public education system in Washington state, according to people who engaged in the strike.

Math teacher Jason Dilley said, “ I don’t like missing school because it wasn’t fair to students or parents, but the reality was the teacher union needed change and needed the legislature to fund the voter approved initiatives.”

Voters also approved  a cost of living adjustment for the teachers, but the current budget would not keep up with the increasing cost of living. Meanwhile, the state legislature gave themselves an 11 percent raise last May.

The Sedro-Woolley School Board deemed the teacher strike illegal.  Brockman says he supports both teachers and school board and makes it clear that everyone is trying to improve our educational system.

“It’s been my experience in working closely with the school board the past two years, that they are huge advocates for students.  They always ask the hard question about ‘what more can we do to support students? The school board was only pointing out that state law prohibits educational employees from striking.”

Brockman says Sedro-Woolley is a great school district and is proud of the work teachers do preparing students for success.

“I, and our board, will continue to work with all of our staff in support of student learning and success.  I believe all of us want what’s best for kids and when we work together, in partnership and support of one another, we will continue to get better and be better.”