Questionably Tasteful ‘TidePod’ Challenge Reaches Viral News

Back to Article
Back to Article

Courtesy Victoria Arquitt

Courtesy Victoria Arquitt

Courtesy Victoria Arquitt

Courtesy Victoria Arquitt

Emma Hoboy, Reporter

There have been so many “challenges” or “games” people participate in on Youtube like, The Cinnamon Challenge, The Ice Bucket Challenge, The Yoga Challenge, The Don’t Judge Challenge, and many others. The newest challenge as of late has been the Tide Pod Challenge.

Tide is a laundry detergent  that was introduced in 1946 and is manufactured by American multinational company Procter & Gamble. The company created a product called “Tide Pods” in 2012, a detergent pac used for stain removal and brightening. This household product soon became a dangerous internet challenge.

The challenge consists of an individual eating the detergent pacs. Youtuber,“TheAaronSwan669,” is thought to be the one who created the deadly trend.  the Tide Pods, when ingested, cause destructive burns to the esophagus, burns to the eyes and skin, and severe vomiting.12,000 calls were made to poison control in 2017 due to indigestion of the pacs.

“It could have long term or permanent effects for a mindless challenge,” said Gracie Kooy, a freshman at Sedro-Woolley High school. “It’s a really stupid and childish challenge.”

The challenge made its way to Youtube and the original video went from receiving less than 50 views, to soon reaching over 15 thousand. Other Youtubers started participating in the hazardous challenge, influencing others to join in as well.

“It’s a dumb excuse for people to get attention,” said freshman Kayla Polanco, “I don’t understand why someone would risk their life for views.”

The challenge has certainly fulfilled the purpose of receiving views; the more views a person’s video has, the more money they will  receive. Youtubers get paid $7.60 per one thousand ad views. Youtube takes about 45 percent of earnings. “TheAaronSwan669” received $51,000 from his Tide Pod Challenge, which explains why so many individuals have participated.

“It’s outrageous the things people do on the internet, this challenge could be seriously dangerous, and I don’t see the humourous effects involved with this,” stated SWHS freshman Mackenzie Grimm.

Less and less individuals are participating in the challenge as 2018 progresses, more people are realizing that Tide Pods belong in the washing machine and out of people’s mouths.