Searching For A Solution To Climate Change

Bella Rinne

“What we are standing for is what we are standing on!”and “There is no Planet-B!” were just two of the phrases depicted in bold colors on signs held by thousands of students marching in a united front.
Across the globe, even elementary students are demonstrating their devotion to the cause. One stand out in the most recent wave of protests is Greta Thunberg, a 16-year-old climate activist. She has inspired Fridays For Future, a movement that involves students not attending classes in a demand for action in the reversal and prevention of global warming.

Global warming is defined as the long-term warming of the planet’s overall temperature, an event that perpetuates climate change; changes in weather patterns and growing seasons. Global warming and climate change are heavily debated issues, even with the majority of scientists recognizing and concurring on its existence.

The current warming trend occurring in the last century is significant because it is determined to be the result of human activity. Now, the very species who caused it are the only ones who can reverse it.
“If we don’t stop it, it could be the end of civilization. If I do have kids, I want them to live in a safe and healthy environment,” said Bryce Abbott, a sophomore at Sedro-Woolley High School. Other students feel the same way, with nine out of ten random students surveyed agreeing that we need to take action in reversing or decreasing the rate of global warming.

Ten out of the ten students believe global warming and climate change exist, an issue that is denied by U.S. President Donald Trump.
“Climate change is a topic that is included in our current standards, the Next Generation Science Standards, which Washington State adopted in 2013 as the Washington State Science Learning Standards,” said Scott Conlan, Sedro-Woolley School District’s Secondary Science TOSA.
“Climate change is a topic addressed in some of our classes, but I believe there is more work to be done to fully address the standards that relate directly to climate change,” said Conlan.

SWHS teachers are not at all resistant to teaching climate change. “However, I believe our teachers could benefit from more professional development aimed at deepening their understanding of the evidence for human-induced climate change and how to effectively teach these ideas in class,”said Conlan.
The importance of successfully educating past, present and future generations on climate change is because of the plethora of devastating effects and the short amount of time left to correct it.

“We are the last generation that can prevent irreparable damage to our planet,” said María Fernanda Espinosa Garcés, an Ecuadorian politician and the current President of the United Nations General Assembly.
During a high level meeting on climate change, speakers warned that humans have roughly one decade left to prevent irreversible damage from climate change on our world. One million of the planet’s eight million species are now threatened with extinction, according to recent reports by scientists.

One of the top three causes of this potential global disaster is climate change. Other significant effects include severe droughts and heat waves, stronger and more intense hurricanes, an ice free arctic, increasingly harmful air quality and ocean acidity levels, rising seas, a longer wildfire season, disruption to food supplies and an increase in disease.

Due to the urgency and nature of this global crisis, students are trying their best to think of solutions and how they can help reverse climate change. It’s not too late to save our planet.