A Look Back on Senior Softball

Back to Article
Back to Article

A Look Back on Senior Softball

SWHS Softball players meet up at pitchers mound.

Carmen Cornwell

Carmen Cornwell

Carmen Cornwell

Emma Cook, Sports Editor

For the past few seasons the Sedro-Woolley High School softball team has said goodbye to two or less seniors during senior night. For the 2016-2017 season, the Cubs gave a farewell to seniors Jacy Ammons, who went on to play softball for the Skagit Valley Cardinals, and Zoie Canapo. For the 2017-2018 season the Cubs gave a warm goodbye to only one senior, Jordan True. Things have changed for this 2018-2019 season with the Cubs having to say a heartbreaking goodbye to five seniors, Nicole Wright, Riley Conn, Abi Hannan, Hollie Davis, and Rachelle Eakin. This is the most seniors the Cubs have had in two years.

For this year’s senior night, the Cubs competed against Sehome High School May 9, Thursday afternoon. The Cubs have not beat Sehome in three years, but this season the Cubs accomplished a sweet victory over Sehome, beating them (8-3). “Beating Sehome was probably my favorite thing about this year. We all were so into the game and just having fun so it felt so good to come out on top, especially on senior night, said senior Hollie Davis. Riley Conn, who will be attending Beloit College in Beloit, Wisconsin, said, “Beating Sehome after three years was such a good feeling because we’ve worked so hard all season and it was all worth it.”

Being a senior can be a scary but a satisfying feeling. Scary because your saying goodbye to your friends and teammates, but satisfying because your starting a new chapter of your life. “I am sad about this being my last year, but I am mostly sad about not being able to play with my team again,” said Davis. “It’s relieving being a senior, it feels really good to be done with High School. It was really hard to wrap my head around not playing High School softball again though, that’s what I’m having a hard time with. Being in the program the last four years were the best years I could imagine, but I’m excited to come back and see all the girls that play,” said senior Rachelle Eakin. “Being a senior playing softball is bittersweet because I’ve become really attached to the freshman and I’m sad to not be playing with my teammates anymore, but playing college ball is exciting and I’m looking forward to it,” said Conn.

Along with these five seniors leaving the SWHS program is Varsity Coach, Amy Beebe, who is moving on to spend more time with family. The Cub would like to wish all these ladies good luck on their futures.