Spring Football Blooms

Back to Article
Back to Article

Spring Football Blooms

SWHS Football players begin practicing for the upcoming season.

Cub Staff Member

Cub Staff Member

Cub Staff Member

Juan Chavez, Reporter

Spring football kicks off Tuesday, May 28 in preparation for fall practice and Friday night lights come September. For those who have been working out and training this offseason for this upcoming 2019-2020 school year, it is an exciting time of year. Senior Brent Vanderveen said, “I’m excited for my last year of football in High School. All the years of training and playing comes down to this one last run.”

For most of the upcoming seniors they will never play organized football again after their senior year.

Every year, teams lose seniors who have made a big impact on the program, and with those losses comes opportunity for the younger players to step in their roles and contribute to their team.

Coach Jonathan Lee said, “We expect a lot of competition at many positions this year.” Players expecting to step up include incoming Junior Kaden Plymale, Senior Austin Malkai, Senior Peyton Burrell, Senior Camden Dowhaniuk, and Sophomore Michael Brumley just to name a few. One of the big question marks for the team is the Quarterback position as two year starter Carter Trammell is graduating.

Brent Vanderveen played quarterback in the wildcat formation last football season and has previous experience as the Quarterback his freshman year, while Kaden Plymale is the more traditional quarterback due to starting the last 2 years as a Quarterback for C-Team and JV as a freshman and a sophomore respectively.  

As of May 27, a total of 27 players are eligible for the first day of practice. There is an expected turnout of about 74 players. Coaches are always looking for more students to turnout. Coach Roger who is new to the coaching staff this year said, “I’m excited to work with this new group of Student-Athletes and coaches.”

Ian Valdovinos, Dylan Tacker, and Brent Vanderveen will all be key returners for this upcoming season. “I think we will have a really good team, we have a few spots to fill but I think we will go far into the year for this upcoming season” said Ian Valdovinos.

The Cubs first game will be Friday, September 6th against Meridian High School,but until then the coaches and players will be working hard to put together the best possible team so that they have a successful upcoming season.