Career Expectations for Graduates

Steve McCartt

2019 seniors prepare for their final days as seniors.

With graduation around the corner for the seniors of Sedro-Woolley High School, it is time to think about what is in store for the next chapter of their life. Some know exactly what their plan is after high school from the college to the major, but some students are still figuring out what path they would like to lead them to their futures

Jerry Grisham, the assistant principal at Sedro-Woolley High School, has some words of advice for those who are deciding their career, “I think you have to find your passion and explore what you think is best for you. I say this because once you find the right fit for you, it makes going to work pleasant and positive.”

Grisham doesn’t believe in solely following a need when it comes to the economy however he understands that some people like to predict and act on a need or even create the need. He thinks both approaches when choosing a job is equally as important. In the greater scheme of things though, he feels it is best to choose a career that ultimately provides interest because in the end a career takes up a lot of time, and it should be enjoyed.

Careers in the medical field will always be on high demand due to the increasing population and never ending injuries, but with the trend to go to college and get high level degrees it leaves the skill and labor force jobs needing workers. These types of jobs include mechanics, carpenters, plumbers or electricians.

Also, because of all the technological advances, there is a need for people wanting to work in those kinds of environments with computers and other forms of technology.

No matter what career SWHS students end up with or are looking into, there are skills that they must have in order to be able to perform adequately in their careers.

“I’m gonna tie it right back into what we now call the 21st Century Skills, those skills that have always been needed. I needed to know how to manage my time, to balance school and family and work, being able to communicate and have a strong work ethic because if I wasn’t able to do my job there would be a line full of people who would gladly fill the position,” said Jodi Jorgensen, the business teacher at Sedro-Woolley High School.

Having those skills and being able to not only communicate and manage time and have a strong work ethic but also have a positive attitude and have the ability to problem solve. These are all attributes that company’s look for in a new employee and that is the reason Sedro-Woolley High School heavily enforces those skills on their students.

Jorgensen fully believes students should learn these skills because when asked she immediately exclaimed, “Oh absolutely more than ever.”

Gaining those 21st Century Skills as well as researching jobs of interest is truly the best thing students in high school can do to better prepare themselves for their future. As for students who have graduated, they should continue looking into different jobs and being open minded. Some things students can do is either try job shadowing or taking a class or two that interests them, even if it’s just a little bit, but don’t forget that it is alright to take time finding the best job that would suits the individual.