FFA And Its Importance in Washington State

Two+teams+at+a+nursery+contest+tonight+in+Yelm.+The+veteran+team+took+first+and+the+beginners+took+fourth.+

Courtesy of Wayne Ramsay.

Two teams at a nursery contest tonight in Yelm. The veteran team took first and the beginners took fourth.

Future Farmers of America has been part of Sedro-Woolley High School since 1931, and has grown into a big part of the school today. On January 31, Sedro-Woolley’s FFA team had their first competition of 2020.
Before students decide to join, it’s important to know the many benefits that FFA offers.
“I can tell you what I think the benefits are: comprehensive, applied education; premier leadership training, personal growth, scholarships, travel opportunities, networking and career connections, awards, resume components,” said Washington state’s FFA Executive director Abbie DeMeerleer.
But that’s only skimming the surface of the unlimited possibilities.
“Really the true benefits are unique to each member. FFA, like agriculture, is diverse and there’s something for everyone and every member can find similar and yet truly unique benefits in being an FFA member if they simply look at all that is offered to them,” DeMeerleer says.
With many benefits, comes many options.
“Anything from Logger Rodeo to Nursery Landscape. The possibilities are endless,”says Sedro-Woolley High School’s FFA Vice President Jenna Burrow.
Students may wonder if joining FFA will bring on too much stress.
“It’s not too time consuming, depending on what you choose to do. I’m in Nursery, so I have to study often, but I still have time to work and hang out with people,” says SWHS Junior Annie Young,
If you are interested in FFA, but still need some further convincing, there are plenty of reasons why you should consider joining.
“It opens up a lot of doors and is a lot of fun. When I moved here, I was nervous, but the nursery team snatched me up and made me feel like part of the FFA family real quick. So it can lead to new friends and new experiences,” says Young.
“FFA provides a tangible link between the classroom and real-life. FFA brings agricultural education to life through supervised agricultural experience projects, competitive leadership and skill events, said Demeerleer.
Sedro-Woolley High School’s Logger Rodeo team, which is a part of FFA, has been holding on to their champion title for 20 years and counting.
“Sedro’s the biggest competition for other schools.”Sedro Woolley’s FFA director Wayne Ramsey.