SWHS Welcomes ‘Latinos Unidos’ Club

Members of the ‘Latinos Unidos’ club gather at SWHS club fair. Courtesy of Kimberly Arce.

Students and teachers at Sedro-Woolley High School, are bringing back a much needed club called Latinos Unidos and the two teachers leading this club will be Katherine Playford and Rachel Padilla.

At the first club meeting there were around 20 people who came to the meeting. Padilla and Playford handed out candy to every student that came. Once everyone was seated, Padilla and Playford welcomed and thanked everyone who came. Shortly after that they started to talk about  how the club needed a president. The two candidates are currently Liliana Tapia and Lexi Rodriguez.

“This club is well needed.  This school has many spanish speakers. It is important to share culture and to be visible in the community.” Playford said.  “This club is for everyone, not just hispanics or spanish speakers. Race does not matter.”

Lexi Rodriguez a senior at Sedro-woolley high school, said “that this club will bring diversity and promote more latin influence in the school”.

They plan to do  fundraisers like dances or holiday events to raise up money for field trips. Rodriguez also said this club is for everyone, and that this club will bring more involvement from the latino community.

“Sedro-Woolley High School should promote more involvement diversity and unity in our school. And through Latinos Unidos we can become a more united students body,” said Rodriguez.

Last time Latinos Unidos was in Sedro-Woolley High School was 6-7 years ago. The reason it was taken away was because the club was more teacher led than student led.

Many students and staff are glad that this club has started up again because they believe that it’s good for the students and everyone else around.