The student news site of Sedro-Woolley High School

The Cub

The Cub

The Cub

Changes at the top

By Riley Houlstine and Tanner Hopke

Big changes have taken place here at SedroWoolley High School and with it, some new adjustments to the administration. The CTE director Doug Walker left in order to take on a new job at the Northwest Career and Technical Academy, setting off the new changes in administration. “We did some administrative shifting based on skills and people wanting to challenge themselves professionally,” said high school principal, Kerri Carlton. One of the big changes is Todd Torgeson’s new position. The former athletic director is now a vice principal. “I’m very excited for this new position,” said Torgenson. “I was doing a lot of this before, but now I can kinda focus on one thing.” Torgenson is excited to take on his new role to keep the high School a great place. “I’m working real hard to be in the classrooms – it gives me a chance to connect with not only the teachers, but the students,” said Torgenson. For Jerry Gardner, our new athletic director coming from Big Lake Elementary, his plans are different. “I don’t have any major plans to change anything athletic-wise as of right now. My job is just to figure everything out,” said Gardener. Gardner took on a big responsibility when he went from a K-6 P.E. teacher at Big Lake Elementary to becoming the new athletic director at Sedro-Woolley High School this year. He seems confident this year about Sedro-Woolley High School athletes in all aspects. “I’m just excited to see the hard work and the determination that our young Cubs put into playing and being good students,” said Gardner. “But I’m loving the high school… it’s been a great experience so far.” Gardner recognizes his former students in the halls of the high school. He was in charge of 6th Grade Camp Orkila, an event that joins all kids of the district on Orcas Island before they go to class together in middle school, part of his responsibilities at Big Lake and Clear Lake schools. “It’s fun to work with them and see the growth of the kids that I’ve had experience with at Clear Lake and Big Lake and to see them now,” said Gardner. “I’m loving the high school… it’s been a great experience so far.” He says he has a strong outlook for the year with success on all levels for our student athletes. “It’s been a lot of fun to get here and then to be in Athletics because I’m a sports guy.” Carlton says each new administrator will have a specific role in supporting our teaching team and students. “I believe that we have incredible teachers and now we have the right people in place at the administrative level to support our teaching team and our students.” she said. Wes Allen became a half-time CTE director and half-time assistant principal replacing Doug Walker. “Mr. Doug Preston was a half-time academic dean for us and we were able to get him to full-time this year,” said Carlton. “A lot of people know Mr. Preston – he taught P.E. and Psychology, coached football, and still coaches golf.” Carlton is happy with the new changes. “I believe that we have incredible teachers and now we have the right people in place at the administrative level to support our teaching team and our students.”