Annual Bellingham Festival Puts Students in the Spotlight

Back to Article
Back to Article

Heartbeaker stole the hearts of judges and peers during the 2010 Guerilla Film Project.

Bella Rinne, Editor

Every year, youth in Washington state receive the opportunity to display their passion for filmmaking and cinema in a 65 hour competition. The Guerilla Film Project, an event hosted by Bellingham’s Pickford Film Center, gains the attention of promising high school filmmakers throughout the state. 

Steve McCartt, the cinematography teacher of Sedro-Woolley High School, is a fan of the festival and the opportunities it represents. 

“It makes for a long, hard, stressful weekend, but the reward of having peers see and vote on your work is inspiring,” said McCartt.

SWHS can often be found at the film festival, winning in 2010 with the film Heartbeaker; a short film in which a group of heartbroken girls take revenge on the boys who wronged them. 

“Every year I am amazed at the talent these young filmmakers put into their films,” said McCartt.

This year, the competition takes place on February 16, with registration closing on February 12, when the teams are announced.  

Winners of the competition can expect awards between $25 to $100, as well as recognition for the skills they demonstrate. 

Teams must be between 1-5 members, pay a $40 registration fee and each must be responsible for all creative aspects with no help from adults or teachers during the editing process. 

The premiere begins at noon on the 16, with results being announced and prizes distributed the same day.