School Health Clinic Officially Open

Sedro-Woolley+School+District+members+gather+around+on+February+24+as+Superintendent+Phil+Brockman+cuts+the+Ribbon+for+the+new+Woolley+Wellness+Center.+

Anna Ferdinand

Sedro-Woolley School District members gather around on February 24 as Superintendent Phil Brockman cuts the Ribbon for the new Woolley Wellness Center.

The first in-school health clinic in Skagit County has finally opened its doors to Sedro-Woolley School District students.
After years of adamancy from district officials to make healthcare feasible for all of their students, insured and uninsured students alike can get the sports physicals, vision screening, counseling, and other non life threatening treatment they need, all without leaving their school.
The ribbon-cutting ceremony was held two weeks after the clinic began operating within Sedro-Woolley High School.
“I’ve been in this educational world for a long time, but I’d never viewed education through a health lens before,” said SWSD Superintendent Phil Brockman.
Brockman has been a proponent of the clinic since the project was dreamed up about three years ago.
“This has been an exciting journey, this is the first school based health clinic north of Everett, so we are learning along the way,” said Brockman.
The Woolley Wellness Center is open to both SWHS and State Street High School students on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. during the school year. As time goes on, the district hopes to increase the days that the clinic will be open.
“Every day we see so many kids throughout the district who have needs, and that have barriers, or their families have barriers,” said SWHS Nurse Shannon Moore. “We are very excited to have this access right across the hallway.”
RoseMarie Horner and Desiree Huntley, both advanced registered nurse practitioners, staff the clinic, which includes two exam rooms.
SWSD School Board member Christina Jepperson has a personal connection to the clinic, as both a mother to a SWSD student, and a Nurse Practitioner.