Mixed Feelings; Students and Teachers Share Their Opinions on the Covid-19 Vaccine

Creative Commons

Vaccination and protective face masks are prevention for viral and respiratory infections of coronavirus.

Schools are opening up rapidly,  and around the country, the recent vaccine is starting to be  injected for safety. Are students and teachers at Sedro-Woolley High School willing to get the Coronavirus vaccine for the safety of themselves and others?

Kiana Stallings, a sophomore at SWHS, said she is not planning on getting the Coronavirus vaccine anytime soon. 

“I don’t plan on getting the Coronavirus vaccine because it hasn’t been around long enough  for them to come up with one,  so I’m sure it doesn’t work,” said Stallings.

Given the fact that the virus hasn’t been around for long, many people don’t trust the “new” vaccine that  scientists have come up with, making it harder for the virus to be controlled. 

An anonymous survey of SWHS teachers showed perspectives from both sides.

Not enough research and time given to develop, home, and work out the bugs on it,” said one SWHS teacher.

Despite doubts surrounding the effectiveness and safety of the vaccine,  only 7% don’t plan on getting it, while 83.7% do plan on getting it.

Many teachers cited the protection of other community members as their reasoning for receiving a vaccine.

I believe it is important to vaccinate in order to protect those who cannot receive a vaccination because they are too young, too old, or with cancer or any other immune compromising health issues. Loving one’s neighbor means wearing a mask and getting vaccinated.” a teacher supportive of the vaccine said. 

Other rationality included being able to visit missed high-risk family members and friends.

“I would like to do whatever I can so we can begin to reopen the world, and so my husband can see his father who’s in an assisted living home and hasn’t seen anyone in almost a year.” said another teacher.

An anonymous survey conducted with students however was far more divided. 

Many student’s opinions depend on their parents, with some citing safety concerns or even religious reasons.. 

“My religion has a small thought that this may be the mark of the beast,” an unsupportive student said.

The survey found 42% of students do not plan on getting the vaccine, while only 38.5% do plan on getting the vaccine. 

I know it may be dangerous but I’d rather try and stay safe and get sick than have someone make me sick due to carelessness. My mother has gotten the vaccine because she is a nurse, no bad repercussions and it’s been about a month. It’s only open to nurses at the moment but I will definitely take it when I can.” said a student in support of the vaccine. 

As many students are under 18, they do not receive as much freedom as students over 18 and teachers have.

As a community if we all get it [the vaccine] we will be able to go back to school. I know people that have gotten it and they are fine. There is so much propaganda around it. I hate that Covid is political and we all can’t be on the same page about everything.” said a student of SWHS.