Sports Has an Impact on SWHS Students

Burlington Edison High School Girls playing basketball against Sedro-Woolley High School

The score is 20-20 and the sweat is dripping down the players faces as they wait for the slow-motion ball to hit the ground. The crowd goes silent and everyone holds their breath. The ball is on the ground and the team is on the run. 

Kiersten Hendrickson is a sophomore, who plays soccer and basketball and feels sports are gratifying and rewarding. 

“I do get a rush from performing well in sports, especially when I achieve more challenging goals,” said Hendrickson, who has finished another season of Basketball.

Junior, Makendra McCarty, played many sports growing up, but decided to stick with running. As she laces her track shoes and does jumps to warm up before stepping on to the line, her adrenaline builds.

“After almost every race, I break down into tears just out of pure happiness and excitement,” said McCarty. “All the emotion that I go through in a race comes out at the end when I cross the finish line.”

The real meaning behind sports is to allow students to build their mental and physical strength. Students at Sedro-Woolley High School have many opportunities, and most students don’t want to hesitate to jump on that train, from sports, to clubs, or even community service. Sports have a big impact on students and are important for SWHS students. Sports can keep students from vaping, boost their social life, and self-esteem.

Students like senior Natalie Kesti, who has been on varsity golf and is a cheer captain, choose sports over clubs to stay active and found it a fun way to make friends.

As for sophomore Hendrickson, she is also a part of two clubs outside of sports, but feels the same.

“I love the action and exercise with sports, but I have also been part of Varsity in the Volunteerism and Wish club. I do prefer athletics to clubs because it’s more fun,” said Hendrickson, 

As for Austin Crossen, a senior football player, he did not get to play much of his season but still found himself making friends and good memories.

It’s not just all about the fun for SWHS sports students, but also the rush it gives to the students but also an excitement for students to make their community proud.

Crossen said, “I get a rush before a game every time. Especially when I am running the ball, or get a touchdown, it’s very euphoric.”

Sports gives students life skills like time management, responsibility, and sportsmanship. Hendrickson and McCarty spend at least three to four times a week, from one to three hours practicing; that is on top of a job and school work.

From the King school website, which has a paper on how sports are important, “research has shown that students who are involved in athletics have higher grades and test scores than those who don’t participate in sports.” 

Sports can help you stay fit, but also academically, at standardized effect (.225) on academic achievement according to a study on 3,186 students from the University of Chicago. 

Every student should have something that is their “thing”. King school stated it allows students to be more a part of the community and build relationships.

Students at SWHS who play sports will be able to build relationships, have good academics, and stay physically active.