The student news site of Sedro-Woolley High School

The Cub

The Cub

The Cub

The Importance of Extracurriculars at SWHS

Eviey Sullivan
Lexi Nelson poses for picture

Sedro-Woolley High School is known for its exceptionally well-rounded students. Most students are not only passionate about school, but also the clubs and sports that SWHS has to offer. Some students, Like Brooke Ryan, a senior, have gone above and beyond when it comes to being involved, showing us that even with small budgets, clubs, sports, and extracurriculars you can still display school spirit.

“I’ve played in a band all four years, I’ve been in golf for three, I joined esports last year and now I’m in the drama club, I am also in ASB,” said Ryan “Band takes up two periods of my day, golf is every day of the week during Spring, and we have been working on the upcoming play since the beginning of September.” 

Ryan’s dedication to the band comes as no surprise. If you’ve ever heard the band as a whole perform at football games, assemblies, parades, or even performances, you can hear just how much time they spend practicing, through the music.

The band is a major part of what school spirit really is. They lead chants, songs, and dances which involve and uplift not only the students, cheerleaders, and spirit section, but also the opposing team.

Unfortunately, the band, amongst other clubs and activities, is experiencing the difficulties of having a low budget. 

“Our uniforms are hand-me-downs,” Brooke adds. “We try to get new ones every year, but for soccer we got hand-me-downs,” says Raven Storie, a senior. 

Not only are sports struggling to afford uniforms, but clubs are also struggling to expand and go on field trips. 

Melany Lamas, a senior has participated in ASB, Latinos Nuevos, Club Diversity, and Drama Club since she was a freshman. Unfortunately, her chances to go on a field trip in any of these have been very minimal, and even when presented with the opportunity, students either can’t afford to go or aren’t allowed due to their position in the club. 

“We went to Mount Triumph, but it was only executives. It was around $600 per person.” Lamas adds. 

Despite the financial boundaries and hardships, Lamas has hope for the clubs and sports of the school.

“Do it for you, and do it for the people who look up to you. That’s all that matters, you are a part of the student body, and that also means you’re a leader,” said Lamas 

Other students, like Raven Storie, can relate to Lamas when it comes to leadership. Storie has played soccer and run track all throughout high school. She is also an active member of the FCCLA club. 

“I’m a captain in Soccer and Track, I try to spread positivity and be conscious of other people,” said Storie. She has not only shown her dedication through leadership but also through her ability to fundraise for her sport. Storie is determined, every year, to help her team. 

Even with the burdens and hardships students experience, they still make our school what it is: inspiring, hard work, and dedication.

Earth Club, VIV, and FBLA have all helped make our school and community better by picking up trash around the school and nearby parks. Sports like Football, Cheerleading, and Soccer have supported those with breast cancer by wearing pink at games, shedding light on others’ hardships. Leadership and ASB have made countless posters focusing on mental health, ultimately creating an environment for students to feel seen. 

Clubs like Drama, D&D, club Diversity, FFA, or sports like Swimming, Tennis, Golf, and many more have given students the opportunity to be a part of something greater and be a part of a team, a family. These clubs and sports may just seem like after-school activities, but they’re more than that, it is an opportunity for young men and women to discover who they are. 

Regardless of the challenges our students face, we continue to persevere and show that we are proud to be a cub, each and every day.