The student news site of Sedro-Woolley High School

The Cub

The Cub

The Cub

Logging into PNW

Curtis Jackson hauls a massive load of lumber down Blue Mountain early in the morning. (Curtis Jackson )

Logging has always been a high priority for factories and high profile merchants.

Not only does logging create essential products for our communities, it also creates stable careers for individuals “who aren’t afraid to get a little dirty,“ said Ron Hornbeck, an employee for a local logging company.

“It gives people stuff to do for a job. We bring in wood for toilet paper, we help the community in several different ways and [with] transportation, and we look good going through the parade.” 

Hornbeck notes that it is a very fulfilling occupation to take part in.

“It’s been very rewarding for me. It’s been enjoyable, but it’s long hours and hard work…. It has fed my family and [given] me a nice life, so it’s a good opportunity for a good job,” said Hornbeck.  

Logging is not an easy line of work to be in. Loggers have to get up at midnight to be at the landing to get loaded on time.

Matt Zender, a log truck driver, explained in detail how harsh working as a logger can be.

“The hours that we work are ridiculous. We chose that though. We could go somewhere else but we keep doing it,” said Zender.

Sometimes, depending on where they are going, it takes a couple hours to get to where they are supposed to be delivering. Most loggers work long hours, almost 12 or more everyday. Some of the drivers have been in the logging industry since they were little kids going to the woods with their dads.

Each logger and business owner takes logging safety into consideration prior to any pick up or drop off. There are many steps in the logging process, however the specific procedures depend on what each log is going to be used for and where it’s going to be transported to.

Log trucking is definitely an adrenaline rush. You always need to keep an eye on your surroundings. Loggers can have logs come off the top of your load and land on you while you’re putting straps over your load. Trees can fall on you at any given moment, along with other dangers such as losing brakes while going down a hill fully loaded.

Just take a look at all the safety measures that have to be put in place to make sure you’re safe while out on the job.

“It’s not always followed to the tee, but there is a long list of safety that really needs to be done because of the fact that you can literally be killed at any minute to minute with so many different aspects all around you,” said Zender.

Because it is a lot of work and has an element of danger,  most people are scared by the possibility of working as a logger. However, the brave, hardworking people who do decide to step up into the role seem extremely fulfilled and happy with their career choice.