Capturing the Essence of Photograghy

As clubs begin at Sedro-Woolley High School, a popular place for students to hang out is the classroom of camera club advisor, Steve McCartt, on a Wednesday after school or Tuesdays during Power Hour. Students from 9-12th grade all gather together to take pictures and learn the essential tips and tricks of photography.

McCartt allows anyone with a passion for the subject to join the club.

“If you enjoy shooting films or pictures, come see us,” he said. When asked why students should join the club, sophomore Yulisa Cruz replied, “Because you get to work with good quality cameras and good people.”

Camera club became a possibility when a former student convinced McCartt to start the club for her senior project. “I didn’t really want to take on another club, but I also liked the idea of a camera club, and so I said that as long as it can be camera and video, not just pictures and stuff like that.”

The club is completely open to students whether they are in photography or not. Students are highly encouraged to broaden their horizons in the art of photography.

“The main focus of Camera Cub is to have kids that are interested in photography that don’t have time to take the class or are taking the class and want to learn more to expand their understanding of photography,” explains McCartt. It gives students the opportunity to enter contests and challenges that can give them a better understanding of what is included within photography.

The club focuses on the brighter side of photography, while also teaching key components of photography.

“We do a lot of trick photography. For example, we do painting with light, we do slow shutter speeds, and forced perspectives, so we try to do things that are kind of different… things that are not run of the mill – definitely not selfies and that sort of thing, because we want kids to expand their knowledge of photography and not just take the same old thing,” McCartt stated.

Painting with light is a favorite amongst students. When sophomore Carman Cornwell was asked what stuck out to her the most, she replied, “Painting with light had the best outcome. I was surprised that you could capture light in images.” Painting with light involves taking a picture in the dark with a slow shutter speed, and using a flashlight to capture its effect. It has become a phenomenon on many social media sites over the past year.

Students are encouraged to bring their own camera, if they have one, but if they cannot, McCartt will provide one. Pictures are posted on Flickr, where they can be shared with the masses. Photography is an enjoyable art form that allows students to use their creativity in a new and exciting way.