Drug and Alcohol Abuse is a Rising Concern on a Global, National, and Community Level

Drug and alcohol abuse is a rising concern on a global, national, state, and community level.  Last month Sedro-Woolley High School tackled the issue to inform students about the possible dangers in hopes of preventing any one of the multiple situations that can arise from underange substance use.

Drug and alcohol related issues have hit home recently At Senior Sunrise – a non Sedro-Woolley High School event, which took place over the summer and was attended by approximately 70 SWHS students- it was determined that student activity that took place broke the SWHS athletic and ASB guidelines. SWHS students that are involved in ASB and athletic activities sign the athletic department code of conduct, which states that even if students are off of school property, being knowingly in the presence of drugs or alcohol will result in consequences.

As a result of this, and other issues that have recently come to light here at the school, Sedro-Woolley School District officials decided to take action.  All seniors that participate in sports and/or ASB events were invited to attend, those that also attended Senior Sunrise, received letters stating that their attendance at a drug and alcohol prevention meeting was mandatory. Failure to attend would result in expulsion from the sports season and/or any school activities, such as clubs.

The meeting was led by Athletic Department Director Jerry Gardner, Intervention Specialist Chris Kennedy, Cascade Middle School and State Street High School counselor Julia Van Putten, class of 2019 counselor Emily Hilberdink, and Vice Principal Laura Schmidt.

SWHS staff feels that this information is extremely valuable to students who are faced with tough decisions on a day to day basis.

“Our goal is to make this a program that is available to everybody,” said Gardner. He hopes that in the future attending this meeting will be an eligibility requirement for athletics.

On October, 17, about 30 members of the 2019 class gathered in the auditorium at 6:30 p.m. to go over the dangers of illegal substances to the developing bodies and minds of underage individuals.

One of the seniors in attendance, Adriana Timblin, felt that she was forced to be present. “I’m here because I have to be.” Timblin was told that if she did not show up she would no longer be allowed to play tennis and soccer.

“Teenagers make stupid decisions and teenagers get caught,” said Timblin, clearly impatient with the mandatory attendance- although she claims she was not in violation of the athletic code.

Kennedy and Van Putten led the audience through a slide show that highlighted the specific dangers of alcohol, and drugs including marijuana, cocaine, and prescription pills. Van Putten mentioned that half of the cocaine confiscated by the Sedro-Woolley Police Department is cut with meth.

After the presentation students were asked to write a letter to their future selves, which would be confidentially returned to them in three-months time.

Although the overall consensus of the seniors in attendance seemed sluggish, it was well established that the information presented was valuable and needed in today’s culture.  

One of the biggest contributors to overdoses in Washington are prescription pills like fentanyl, which according to the Washington State Department of Health, resulted in at least 70 deaths statewide in 2016. Fentanyl is an extremely addictive prescription narcotic that has entered the Skagit County raidar after a man was charged earlier this year with two cases of controlled substance homicide, creation, delivery or possession of a counterfeit substance and delivery of fentanyl with a school zone enhancement.  

The future meetings will likely be around and hour and a half. “We got some good feedback from the kids that were at that class about what worked and what didn’t,” said Gardner.

Both Schmidt and Gardner voiced their concern for students well being above anything else. “We lose sleep over you guys,” said Schmidt, explaining that the ultimate goal is to see graduates walk across the stage and to celebrate with them.