SWHS Teacher Goes “Viral” After Sweet Tribute

Steve McCartt’s puns have become a staple of the SWHS halls. He has recently gone viral online after one student posted his antics on Tik Tok. Courtessy of Mikayla Townsend.

Steve McCartt’s official title at Sedro-Woolley High School is the Visual Communications director, but most know him as the teacher who shouts jokes in the hallway.
To celebrate his last year at the high school, McCartt has decided to tell a pun everyday outside his classroom to the students passing by.
One student, Ariana Westfall, began recording McCartt and posted the videos to the popular app, TikTok. The video went viral and gained over 3 million views quickly.
“I felt like more people needed to see it and he needed to be recognized for what he does at school,” said Westfall.
Soon, the video of McCartt was everywhere. It popped up on Facebook, Instagram, even Twitter.
“I absolutely love it. Anything that can be brought in a positive light is a good reason why it should be on social media,” said SWHS Principal Kerri Carlton.
As well as becoming an internet sensation, McCartt is a bit of a sensation at the high school too.
He’s worked at SWHS 28 years now, and teaches photography, cinematography and broadcasting classes, in addition to being the director of the yearbook team and of all broadcasts streamed to the high school’s YouTube page.
He’s worked hard while he’s been here, and now works even harder to bring a spot of joy to the hallways during passing periods.
“I didn’t think about it being that big of a deal at first,” said McCartt. “It just seemed like one of those viral videos. Then it got really big and then I really enjoyed reading the comments. Some were from former students of mine.”
In the end, McCarrt hasn’t allowed himself to get a big head over the new fame, but he definitely won’t be stopping anytime soon.