Shaking Things up, Annual Earthquake Drill Hits WA

SWHS students gather on the field as they await further instruction. The statewide ShakeOut drill was deemed a success. Photo by Anna Ferdinand.

Schools, businesses, and individuals all across Washington state stopped and dropped on October 17 for the state wide ShakeOut Drill.
Sedro-Woolley High School was only one school to practice the emergency earthquake procedure at 10:17 a.m. on Thursday’s rainy morning.
Students began the drill in their first period class by demonstrating drop, cover, and hold. Students crawled under their desks and holding on to the legs to keep their shelter secure over their heads and vital organs.
After several minutes of this, and instructions being read over the intercom system, students exited the building and headed out to the football field to meet with their advisory groups.
Braving the frigid temperatures, both students and staff worked as quickly as possible to make sure everyone was accounted for and after about 15 minutes, students began filling the stands to await further instructions.
During this time, select members of SWHS staff who volunteered for the search and rescue (SAR) teams entered the building and began their part of the drill.
“The primary duty of the SAR team is quite simple: search around and within the buildings and find people and either help them out of the building or get others to help with their extraction if they are wounded and need to be carried out,” said Dave Shusta, English teacher and SAR volunteer. “The secondary duty of the team is to gather and provide information about the condition of the structure.”
After the SAR teams sweep concluded, students were gradually released and the school day continued. Other teams included first aid, crisis support, reunification, and an assembly team, all made up of members of staff and administration.
“I, personally was in the 2007 Earthquake in Peru, and it was a traumatic experience,” said senior Alyssa Lecca. “I never had the opportunity to learn earthquake drills until I moved here so I think students and even staff can benefit greatly in case of any natural disasters.”

Brennan Van Loo navigates the rain-slicked bleachers as he marks attendance directs students into the stands. Photo by Anna Ferdinand