Students Flock to See Baby Lamb

Students flock to see Shelby the lamb that was brought into class by teacher Brennan Vanloo. Photo courtesy of Emily Johnson.

Last month, Sedro-Woolley High School students walked into science teacher Brennan Vanloo’s class to see the lamb that he brought from his home in the hope of a little change of pace.
“They loved to hold it, maybe we need some pet lambs in the school,” said Vanloo.
It turns out the lamb, Shelby, was not able to get milk from its mom, being the third baby of the group, so Vanloo’s family took in the lamb, and bottle fed it.
Seeing as how Shelby was not able to go back to its parents, Vanloo thought it would be a great idea to bring the lamb to school in hopes that it would, in his words, “illustrate some cool biology concepts.”
With two kids of his own at home, Vanloo found that Shelby needed special attention that was taxing to provide.
“It was a bottle fed lamb, so I would have to be making bottles for it and feeding it three or four times a day for the next month. And like, maybe somebody else would like to do this,” said Vanloo.
Now Shelby is in a new home with junior Emily Johnson, but students hope to see one of his lambs again at school.
“ Um, if I have a bottle fed lamb. Probably,” said Vanloo.