Homecoming Returns to Sedro-Woolley High School

Sedro-Woolley High School celebrated the return of several Homecoming traditions in October, despite COVID-19 restrictions.

With alumnus David Bricka serving as the MC, student royalty was announced and classes competed in the lip sync.  

Families, students and staff gathered in the gymnasium on Oct. 13 wearing masks and staying as distanced as possible. 

“I’m really excited for all the kids, it’s a huge tradition, and it’s something they’ll remember for the rest of their lives,” said Bricka.

The 1977 SWHS graduate remembers Homecoming events from when his own father, George Bricka, was the principal. He and his sisters participated in the festivities and his favorite part was the floats.

“Building the floats was a lot of fun,” he said. “We built many floats and we got together and ’ya hang out and you just come together and work together as a team, and create something really fun.”

At this year’s coronation event, Bricka was honored to introduce the royalty, which included Homecoming King Ben Hedberg and Queen Grayson Mast. 

Senior princesses included Chloe Brase, Lily DeVries, Kyla Mitcham and Morgan Alvarez, and Senior princes included Baker Spark, Jerome Mathias, Noah Castillo and Daniel Beccera-Lopez.

Hunter Lake was the junior class lord, while Erin Pierce was the lady.  

The sophomore class was represented by Lord Kaleb Stafford and Lady Kydalynn Hoelzele. 

Logan Roth was the freshman lord, while Hallee Christy was the lady.

Carlton said seeing the different classes participate in the events, such as the lip sync, demonstrates the facts that traditions live on, despite COVID-19 said SWHS Principal Kerri Carlton. 

“You’re also supposed to layer in the tradition and community and the love of your school and that’s what Homecoming brings to our high school,” she said

“Like our freshmen are rocking it this week,” Carlton said after  the lip sync event. “Can you imagine what they’re going to be like by their senior year? It’s really fun to see the personality of each class and what they bring to Homecoming.”

The principal was also excited to see the community involved again. 

“… going back to that community involvement. And how important it is that we remember the traditions that make Sedro-Woolley High School so special,” Carlton said. 

Longtime teacher Kelly Hawkins organized the coronation and lip sync event, along with several other popular traditions. 

“It’s honestly really exciting and it’s my most favorite thing I get to do,,” she said. “ I like getting to watch the kids come together, kind of learn how to lead projects, and make them happen.. It’s really, really important I think to their whole high school memories.”

Hawkins said planning the Homecoming events was challenging this year, with not knowing all of the possible restrictions, having to get the events approved by the district’s executive leadership team and trying to ensure everyone is safe. 

“There’s a lot of extra steps added because of COVID,” Hawkins said. “Plus, I think that kids are having a harder time getting other kids into it, just because they’re used to being at home, or a lot more kids are working than usual. So it’s been a little bit more challenging, but I think in some ways that made it a little more meaningful too.”