Mariners Come Close

Everyone was on their feet, and the tension in the air was so thick you could feel it in the Mariners final game against the Oakland Athletics. We had to win this game to get our spot in the Playoffs. We were in the bottom of the ninth inning with two outs. With T-Mobile park full of 44,754 people, the pure euphoria that rushed through when Cal Raleigh hit his 26th home run into right field on a three-two count to win the game.

With the Mariners clenching the wild card spot, they ended their 21-year postseason drought. This was a miracle for the fans who stuck around. For the fans,   

“I have been a Mariners fan my whole life, my family is also huge Mariners fans,” said Chris Spencer, an Assistant Principal at Sedro-Woolley High School. “We try to go to a couple games a year.”

It became all more real when the Mariners beat the Toronto Blue Jays coming back from a seven run deficit, moving further into the  2022 Major League Baseball World series. 

After winning they headed to Houston to play a five game series against the Astros. With this being a first to win three, five games series, the Mariners lost the first two in Houston. So everyone was counting on them to win the third game in Seattle. This brings us to the never-ending game. 

“We hung in there for a long time,” said Douglas Pass, a math teacher at Sedro-Woolley High School. “I say we played two games but we played them all in the same day.” 

This game not only became the longest scoreless playoff game, but it also now is tied with three other games for the longest postseason game. The game lasted a total of 18 innings, being scoreless for 17 of those innings. 

Even though the game was insanely impressive – the fact that no matter how tired everyone was, we didn’t give up and even though we weren’t able to pull through and beat Houston, no one is going to forget about how hard we worked in that game. With Jeremy Peña hitting a homerun in the top of the 18th inning for Houston to make it a one-nothing game, the Mariners were not able to counteract that run in the bottom of the 18th.

“We could have been better,” says Avery Blau a Sophomore at Sedro-Woolley High School. Then stating that, “Upcoming seasons we need to get a couple of good hitters and a couple of better basemen.” Going off the fact of what he thought was to come, in these upcoming seasons.