What is Happening with FFA?

This year, 16 members from the FFA club attended the FFA state convention, which was held in Kennewick on May 11-13.
“Four [students] were competing members of the Veterinary Science Team, 3 were there as representatives of our Nursery/Landscape team, 4 were there as representatives of our Floriculture team, 1 student competed in an Employment Skills Competition, and 1 student was a candidate running for State Office,” says Jesse Price, a teacher at SWHS and member of the club. A total of 16 students went along for the ride.
Grace Dills, a freshman and member of FFA, went to state with the group. She says there are many different ways to participate in FFA. “There are so many different events that you can do that lead to so many different careers… they do all involve agriculture,” says Dills.
Not only does FFA offer something for everyone, but it creates a family. Going to state gives an opportunity to meet all those families. “It brings the community together and it teaches kids valuable life skills and how to work on a team, how to be a leader and how to build your career,” says Dills.
FFA plays a special role in our community, and every year they give students the opportunity to join the fun. However, before you go join, you should learn a few things about what you’re getting into.
“FFA is varied and can include many facets and focuses, virtually every chapter emphasizes something different.” says Price.
FFA has many different outlets for many different people, and those who have joined have found that there are many different ways to enjoy this club.
“Everything from public speaking to parliamentary procedure, from forestry to floral design to ag business to agricultural mechanics and a whole lot more, there really is something for everyone,” says Price.
Joining FFA opens up many opportunities for students, both educationally and socially. “In terms of why people should join, I would say because of the vast array of opportunities both social and in terms of developing as an individual,” says Price. Going to state is just one example of the many opportunities FFA brings to our community.