The student news site of Sedro-Woolley High School

The Cub

The Cub

The Cub

Candidates Campaign to Secure a Seat on S-W school board.

Lindy+Mullen-Doyle%2C+Christina+Jepperson.+
retrieved from voter.votewa.gov
Lindy Mullen-Doyle, Christina Jepperson.

As school board elections near, the town of Sedro-Woolley is buzzing with talk of who will hold the seat of School Board president for the next four years. Campaign signs fill yards, social media posts flood our feeds, and ballots have arrived in our mailboxes. 

The two main candidates running for the next term as School Board President are Christina Jepperson, who currently holds the seat, and Lindy Mullen-Doyle. Many students at SWHS have heard and seen these names everywhere, but may not know the values and campaign initiatives that these candidates hold. 

Jepperson is an Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner who has served on the board for the past 10 years, as well as having two children attend school in the district. 

“It was never a question for me if I would re-run,” said Jepperson. “ I love this position and the role I get to serve in our district.  I love being at the school events, watching our students succeed and graduate, seeing teachers reaching further and taking a stance for the kids they work with.” 

Mullen-Doyle is an entrepreneur who attended Sedro-Woolley School District from grades K-12 and graduated as valedictorian in 2001. 

“I decided to run for the school board several years ago when my son was starting Kindergarten and I began communicating with the board,” said Mullen-Doyle. “As a community member whose family has paid a lifetime of taxes into Sedro-Woolley public schools, and a parent of a soon to be student in the district, I did not experience the representation that is guaranteed by law. Like many other families, I felt ignored by the elected officials that are supposed to represent me, and concerned with our schools.” 

Mullen-Doyle views her concerns as being “passed off” by school board members.

“I am the only candidate that will give a voice to families in school district decisions. I will work to establish LOCAL policies, practices, and curriculum that work for our kids, our families, and our schools, through collaboration with stakeholders,” said Mullen-Doyle. 

Both candidates believe the School Board President serves an important role in the district, but for various reasons. 

According to Jepperson,  the school board only reviews the Superintendent, contrary to the belief that they are “everyone’s boss in the district.” Some of their other duties include hiring, supervising and reviewing the Superintendent, setting and monitoring goals of the district, reviewing, revising and adopting policy, overseeing budget, and serving as community representatives. 

Jepperson believes that anyone serving on the school board needs to be patient and open to discussing district happenings everywhere they go. 

“There is so much to learn about laws, policy, classes, financial situations, the first few years can be overwhelming,” said Jepperson. 

Mullen-Doyle, who chose to enroll her children outside of the school district due to her frustrations with the school board. Some of these issues included concerns about quarantine policies according to covid vaccination status. She believes that elected officials should make decisions on behalf of the citizens that elected them.

“I will work to establish LOCAL policies, practices, and curriculum that work for our kids, ourfamilies, and our schools, through collaboration with stakeholders,” said Mullen-Doyle. “We need leaders on the school board that will put in the work with our stakeholders and collaborate to make improvements and give all our students what they deserve – a quality basic education,” 

Both candidates have used posters and flyers to promote their election, but have some differences in campaign strategies. 

“I have used postcards, door to door informational handouts and Facebook a lot. My phone number and email are always available for folks to call or contact me. I did have the teacher’s union support me, but I have not asked for a lot of funds because it’s very hard for me to accept money since I already sit on the board and I work in our community,” said Jepperson. 

Mullen-Doyle described her campaign as a true grassroots effort. 

“I’ve organized sign waving events and doorbelling outings with volunteers. Thus far, my efforts have resulted in nearly 6000 voters contacted in the district, and I always ask voters about what’s important to them in our schools,” said Mullen-Doyle. 

The two candidates have many plans to approach their work in the school district in various areas. Jepperson specifically would like to see expansion in the SWHS curriculum.

“I would love to see Forestry and Fish and wildlife pathways added to the CTE classes.  I would like us to keep adding college in the high school classes from CWU as these classes give actual college credit. We need to keep improving our state testing scores as well.  Kids learning really suffered from COVID but we are starting to see that change,” said Jepperson.             Mullen-Doyle would like to see more parent involvement in the development of curriculum and policies.

“I believe we need local policies that work for our students, our families and our schools,” said Mullen-Doyle.

Voters will have the opportunity to decide which candidate will fulfill the needs of the school district by voting on or before November 7th, 2023.