The student news site of Sedro-Woolley High School

The Cub

The Cub

The Cub

William Winfield Inspires Students at the SWHS Martin Luther King Assembly

Challenging Life’s History
Karson Dickman
William Winfield inspires students with a story from his childhood at the Martin Luther King Assembly on January 16

On January 16th, William Winfield came to Sedro-Woolley High School for the Martin Luther King Jr. themed assembly. He gave an inspirational speech about history that had everyone hyped throughout the day. 

“There are students who may feel like they’re not smart enough, they come from broken families, or they’re just struggling day-to-day. I don’t want you all to make the mistakes I made,” says Winfield. 

Winfield has over 9 years of experience in public speaking, mentoring and coaching. He is one of the most sought after professional speakers for inspiring and motivating students and educators in America.

“I want to make sure that they don’t repeat the mistakes that I did; losing a football scholarship, hanging around the wrong influences, and trying to live in somebody else’s life rather than living as me. Impact and legacy,” says Winfield.

Winfield gives these speeches so that he can prevent as many kids as possible from making bad decisions in life like he did. He wants kids to know that there’s always going to be challenges along the way. Being inspired by a relative, friend, or teacher is important because sometimes they know what’s right and wrong. Inspiring others can make them feel good about themselves, which includes Winfield..

Decades after decades, history is being made by people all over the world. Presentations, speeches, podcasts, and other things like these are being shared to make an impact, mainly on students, so that we can help make the world a better place. Kerri Carlton, the principal at Sedro-Woolley High School, got in touch with a few people for the assembly.

“This year we wanted to bring professional presenters to our school to share a message of courage, perseverance, believing in your dreams, the importance of choosing to stay away from drugs, alcohol, vaping, etc. To make that happen, we brought in Matt Hamill, Jake White, and then William Winfield,” says Carlton. Surprisingly, the 2023-2024 school year has been the first year where they have brought more than one professional speaker to our school.