The student news site of Sedro-Woolley High School

The Cub

The Cub

The Cub

SWHS Competitive Cheerleading Team Competes at Battle Ground

On February 3 of this year, Sedro-Woolley High School’s competitive cheerleading team made their way to Battle Ground High School to compete in the WIAA Cheerleading Championship. They competed in three previous competitions, working on their complicated routine and perfecting every detail in order to qualify for the state tournament.

These hard working cheerleaders proudly took 6th place in the Small Game Day Division. Every bit of hard work and dedication they put into this competition paid off in the end. Shyanne Shanes, a Senior on the Competitive Cheerleading team has some firsthand input on the event. Shanes has cheered for four years in football, and two years in competition.

“Cheer is a really big part of high school for me,” said Shanes. “Being in this competitive team is a fun experience, giving you a close relationship with your teammates.” 

Shanes also had valuable bonding time with her teammates, and reflects on her favorite memories from the night. “My favorite memory was staying at the hotel, and staying up all night,” said Shanes. 

The competition allowed for the team to grow closer together and have fun with each other as well as perform their best. Shanes then leaves us with a message for potential cheer team prospects.  

“If you want to try out for cheer, you should definitely do it. I really believe that if you feel like you’re outgoing, you should do it,” said Shanes. 

Overall, the team placed 6 out of 8 during the competition.