The student news site of Sedro-Woolley High School

The Cub

The Cub

The Cub

Woolley Idol is Back After 5 Years, and it’s Breathtaking

Meleny+Lamas+and+Alexia+Ceja+hold+first+place+plaque+at+Woolley+Idol+event+on+April+12.+
Meleny Lamas and Alexia Ceja hold first place plaque at Woolley Idol event on April 12.

The few seconds of silence before singing, to many, is the hardest part of performing a song. There’s acknowledgement from the audience – one is suddenly aware of the weight of their expectation – and there is a slight panic as previously memorized lyrics threaten to slip the brain. There’s a shaky breath in, out, and then there’s music. 

With seven talented contestants, Sedro-Woolley High School hosted its first Woolley Idol singing competition in five years. Woolley Idol had been a tradition since its start in 2009, but was discontinued when the pandemic struck. Now, student singers take to the stage and impress the audience with label-worthy vocals.

The show consisted of three rounds, two of which had each contestant sing a song of choice, showcasing their talents. The third round would include three finalists out of which the audience and judges would choose the 2024 Woolley Idol. This year’s finalists were Katie Kins, Alora Ford, and Meleny Lamas and Alexia Ceja as a duo. 

Despite previous experience, Meleny Lamas was all but calm before her turns on stage. “‘What if I forget the lyrics’, ‘what if my voice cracks’, ‘What If’ was the biggest thought in my brain,” said Lamas. “But as soon as I was on stage and the lights hit my face, I let go of everything.”

The duo performed 3 mariachi songs – La Cigarra, No Me Queda Mas, and La Tequilera – dressed in traditional clothing with the aim of sharing a slice of their culture. At the end of the event, Alexia and Meleny took home the plaque as the 2024 Woolley Idols. 

“People felt connected even though it was a different language. We won because we brought something different to the stage,” said Lamas. 

In spite of the nerves and doubts, the win of Lamas and Ceja has officially revived the Sedro-Woolley tradition with a Mexican flair.