The student news site of Sedro-Woolley High School

The Cub

The Cub

The Cub

Sedro-Woolley Lost A Lament Teacher and Coach

Yearbook
Rob Davie a teacher and Head Coach of Boy’s Baseball taking team photos

Rob Davie, a teacher at SWHS and Head Coach of the Boy’s baseball team, passed away from battling cancer for a few years on Sunday, February 4. Many students and faculty are now heartbroken by the news of his death. Davie was a well-known teacher and baseball coach around Sedro-Woolley and its surrounding areas. 

“It was devastating to hear about his passing, he really meant a lot to the team and the program as a whole. Something that I remember him for is that he always tried to give everyone nicknames,” said Zach McCall a junior at SWHS. 

McCall’s heartfelt words about Coach Davie passing away and his funny nicknames show just how much Coach meant to his team. 

However, off the field, Davie did everything in his power to make sure students passed their classes to play and graduate high school. Coach Davie’s booming voice could be heard echoing across the field as he pushed his team to strive for greatness. More than just teaching them about baseball, Coach Davie taught his players about life—about perseverance, leadership, and the importance of never giving up.

He lit up in every room he walked into with a smile. This school wasn’t just a place of learning; it was a sanctuary where dreams were nurtured, friendships forged, and futures shaped. At the heart of it all was Coach Davie, a pillar of strength and wisdom.

In the classroom, Davie was known for his passionate lectures that sparked curiosity.  Additionally, he was always coming up with nicknames just to confuse or make a laugh out of it.  

Recalling old times, Brian Young, a janitor at SWHS, fondly remembers talking to Davie. “Anything about professional baseball,” ” said Young. “I will miss the conversations.”

He was a good man and will forever be in our hearts while walking the halls or on the field. Even Young couldn’t say much after Davie’s passing.

“Very sad and heartbroken. Good man” said Young. Day by day, Davie’s room is filled with students during cub time. Petty Ward, a former student in his Study Hall classroom, was heartbroken hearing the news. “It was hard to believe that he left us so soon. It’s like, Coach wasn’t just a coach, you know? He was like a friend, someone who really cared about us, both on and off the field,” said Ward. “His nicknames were hilarious, but they also made us feel special, like he really saw us for who we were. It’s crazy how someone like Coach Davie could have such a big impact on all of us.”

For years, Coach Davie poured his heart and soul into his work, shaping the lives of countless young athletes who had the privilege of wearing the Sedro-Woolley Cubs uniform. His impact extended far beyond the baseball field, reaching into the classrooms and hallways of Sedro-Woolley High.

As the weeks passed, his memory continued to inspire future generations of baseball players at Woolley High School, a testament to the enduring impact of a coach who truly cared.

Lilly Kilthau, a junior at SWHS, would go to his classroom for every cub time. She now says “If I could tell Davie how I felt when he passed, it would be a mix of very sad emotions,” said Kilthau. “He was so kind and funny and just a nice soul. It is a shame that we have to carry on without him, but we will all live for him in a loving memory of Mr. Davie.” Kilathu also said it is hard to comprehend that he isn’t here, and she tries to stay away from his room knowing it would bring back happy memories that wouldn’t be easy to relive. “He was an absolutely amazing teacher and he was always trying to help students. I know he helped many graduate.”