The student news site of Sedro-Woolley High School

The Cub

The Cub

The Cub

SWHS Tennis Loses Cherished Coach

Beloved SWHS boys and girls tennis coach John Hull sadly passed away due to complications from cardiac arrest at the age of 57 on January 20th, 2024. 

Hull has been a part of the SWHS tennis program since 2014, serving as the head boy’s coach and JV coach for the girls in the most recent years. 

Hull was a very involved mentor to every tennis player that he interacted with, even those not on his team. He not only spent hours a week coaching during scheduled practice times, but was always willing to spend extra time outside of practice and even out of season working with players to improve their skills. 

Sophie Johnson, a senior at SWHS, spent over three years under Hull’s wing, having played  tennis since her freshman year. Considering her tight bond with Hull, she recalls his immense support right from the beginning as a rookie tennis player. 

“ I always wanted to play, and when I was out on the courts I would stay for hours. John was always right there with me,” said Johnson. “He would tell me that the thing he loved seeing the most was my love for the game of tennis, and this was something that really set him apart.” 

Johnson hopes to play her best this season in honor of Hull, despite the dread that comes with her loss. 

“There’s going to be a hole that is very hard to fill.  My after practice hitting partner, confidant, hype man, and coach won’t be there this year and that hurts,” said Johnson. “ I had a lot of plans to play well this season, and I still hope to do as well as I can, but getting out on the court is going to be hard.” 

Connor Griffin, a junior at SWHS and tennis player of three years, reflects on his time with Hull as a coach.

“John most definitely highlighted the importance of having fun with everything we do. While we played tennis at practice, the environment was always fun and we could goof off and be ourselves,” said Griffin. 

Hull was known to not only be an involved coach but a “friend-to-all.” Being said, Griffin’s experience with him truly proves that testament. 

“The main thing that stood out with John was all the recognition he would to his players, giving us names and laughing with us. John would always make everyone feel more valued,” said Griffin.

Samantha Jepperson, a junior at SWHS expresses her immense appreciation for Hull and his role as a coach. 

“He was the glue of our tennis team,” said Jepperson. “He was patient, understanding, and not only strived to make us better tennis players, but better people.” 

Ultimately, Hull’s passion for tennis, witty demeanor, and dedication to improving the lives of others will live on in our hearts and on the court.