The student news site of Sedro-Woolley High School

The Cub

The Cub

The Cub

Micayla Yates 2nd Place in Girls Wrestling at SWHS

Sedro Woolley High School prides itself on its hard-working and kind athletes, and the Girls wrestling program is no exception. Having just completed their 2023-2024 season, the girls wrestling should feel nothing but proud with how the season has gone. With Micayla Yates placing 2nd at state and Ava Ford and Ryan Madsen both making an appearance.
“Ava Ford and Ryan Madsen were at the Dome for the first time and with that came the highs and lows that can only happen ‘the first time’” said Barb Morgan, the head coach for Girls Wrestling, “Micayla was the seasoned veteran this year having competed at the State tournament last year.”
With the program placing 17th at state, it’s important to recognize what they did to get there, “We managed to bring home a third place team trophy (from Queen of the Castle), a second place team trophy (from Woollley Women’s) and a first place team trophy (from Justice for all),” said Morgan, “and seemed to peak at just the right time bringing home second in our conference duals, first at the sub-regional tournament (advancing 11 girls to regionals) and 2nd at the regional tournament ( advancing 3 girls to state and three alternates!)” These girls have worked incredibly hard for the sport and it is seriously important to give the credit to these girls where that credit is due.
Behind all the victories this program has gathered though, is a group of girls who have the utmost respect for their teammates and the sport, “ Wrestling is a sport where if you keep losing you’ll never love it but even if it’s just one time you get your hand raised you realize that you put in the work and effort to be there and you earn your win.” said Ava Ford, one of the state attendees this year. The sport that is wrestling is a very intense and vigorous sport with high competition, and these girls do whatever they can to improve their ability.
“Some schools are content with just showing up. These girls want more!” said Morgan, “When they lose a match they want to watch a film and see what they did wrong and how they can improve.” The most important thing to these girls is to be the best versions of themselves when it comes to the sport they love.
The program has spent almost all of their season on top and there is no reason to feel bad about what they have accomplished. They have been a dominant force since the beginning of their season and continued it through the end of the season. “I truly feel that with this group of girls they will be able to win a State Championship in the next two years.” said Morgan.