Memories Made at Camp Orkila

Sedro-Woolley High School students joined the 6th graders to their Camp Orkila Trip. The students got a chance to be counselors for the trip. They were in charge of a group 6th graders. (April 18-24, 2023)

In Camp Orkila they have many activities. They have shelter building, beach walks, plankton observation, archery, rock climbing and more. I asked the students what were some of their favorite memories they made.

“One of my favorite memories was all of us in our cabin just having fun and playing some card games. Just messing around,” said Skyler Eaton Cortez, a junior from SWSD.

“I loved getting to watch all the campers meet and make friends, but I also enjoyed getting to put on a campfire show for the campers on the last night,” said Alyssa Mengle, a sophomore.

There were many fun memories made, but was it difficult for a group of teens to be in charge of 6th graders?

“At some points, yes, it was difficult, but with my group of girls we had a great time and they were so well behaved. I’d say my day/trail group had more trouble, since there were students from all the schools meeting each other for the first time,” said Mengle.

“This year it was much easier than last year when I went. But I did have to step up to make sure they were kept in check,” said Cortez.

Many students loved going back to Camp Orkila and reliving their experience, but they all said their experience was different compared to when they were younger.

“It is very different being a counselor than being a student. By being a counselor there is obviously much more responsibility and you are the sole person in charge of 7-10 kids. You are the thing that’s making the week fun for the campers. You get to see more of the behind the scenes things,” said Mengle.

“It was much different from now than 6th grade. 6th grade was great but now it is even greater because I’m reliving so many memories that I once had,” said Cortez.

Beautiful sunrises and sunsets. Fun activities and memories. You as a high schooler can join them next year too.

“It was such a great experience and I’m so glad I got to do it.” said Mengle.

“I can’t wait for next year!” said Cortez.